It’s been a week in blogland and in real life for Dave and Simon doing up their apartment for sale. The change is crazy, you must watch the video to see!
This video is full of tips to get your home ready for sale, so I have written a list below that you can mull over and over and over…. Now keep in mind this is the budget list, I’m sure there are many more things you can do to improve you home with lots of money!
1. Take out most personal effects and de-clutter.
2. Paint your walls out a neutral warm white or similar, we used Whitsunday Island by Dulux in the boys apartment.
3. Shampoo your carpets- D.I.Y!
4. Source cheap and modern furniture from Gumtree, Ebay or Ikea to give a cohesive and non-offensive look. This ends up being cheaper than hiring furniture from a property styling company. At the end you can either keep your new purchases or re-sell them to make your money back.
5. Make sure each room is purposefully furnished for what it is e.g. define a dining room for its main purpose, to dine in! In Dave and Simon’s house we moved the desk and bookshelf out of the dining room, got a bigger table and centered it to the room. Now it’s clearly a dining area and it feels more spacious! Always take the less is more approach, it creates the feeling of a big room!
6. When choosing soft furnishings, choose a few neutral colours and stick to that palette throughout the house, varying slightly between each room. It’s good to not go overly masculine or feminine but find a common ground in between. Head to Kmart or Ikea to get some cheap coloured cushions for your beds and couches, as well as a rug or two. Also when making your beds, nothing says “clean bed” as a fresh white quilt cover… you can pick this up for around $30. And while you’re at it, get some fresh white towels for your bathroom too!
7. Finishing touches…. yep you guessed it, flowers and plants. They smell nice, add pops of colour and add life to your apartment. And they just look really good!
And for a cliche happy ending… the boys sold their apartment and are very happy with the result! I mean, you’re laughing if you’re selling anything in Sydney right now…